When it comes to cleaning your home, you want to make sure you’re using the right tools and solutions to get the job done effectively.
Shark steam mops are one of the best steam mops on the market and are what I’ve been using for years to keep my floors squeaky clean.
If you own a Shark steam mop, you may be wondering if you can put cleaner in the water tank to help boost its cleaning power.
The short answer is no, according to the Shark, you should only use distilled water in the water tank of your steam mop.
Why Some Chemicals and Cleaning Solutions Aren’t Recommended
There are a few reasons why Shark recommends only using distilled water in their steam mops.
First, using any other substance in the water tank could potentially damage, clog up, and compromise how well it works.
Some chemicals and cleaning solutions can react when mixed together and may cause your Shark to malfunction.
Additionally, using any substances outside of distilled water could void the warranty on your steam mop.
Another reason to stick with distilled water is that using other substances could potentially leave a residue on your floors.
Even if you’re using floor-safe cleaners, if your mop is going to get the job done without them anyway, it’s best to err on the side of caution.
If you’re using the steam mop to clean up messes and spills, you want to make sure that whatever you’re using is not going to leave a film or streak behind. Distilled water is the safest option to ensure that your floors are left clean and streak-free.
Can You Put Vinegar in Your Shark Steam Mop?
While you shouldn’t put any chemical cleaners in the water tank of your Shark steam mop, you may be wondering if you can use a natural cleaning solution like vinegar.
Vinegar is one of those common household items we all have in our cupboards that is a powerful cleaner.
The acidic nature of vinegar is so powerful it can dissolve most mineral deposits, dirt, grease, and some of the most stubborn grime.
But the answer is still no.
While vinegar is a great natural cleaner and can be used on many surfaces, it’s not recommended for use in a steam mop.
Vinegar can be abrasive and could potentially damage your Shark steam mop, as well as leave a residue on your floors.
It’s best to stick with distilled water to ensure that your steam mop is working at its best and that your floors are left clean and streak-free.
How to Use a Shark Mop the Right Way
To get the best results from your Shark steam mop, be sure to follow these tips:
- Use only distilled water in the water tank.
- Make sure the steam mop is properly assembled and all parts are tightened securely.
- Test the steam mop on a small, inconspicuous area of your floor before using it on a larger area.
- Vacuum up prior to steaming to make sure there are no hard bits of debris.
- Move the steam mop in a back and forth motion, overlapping each pass to ensure that you’re covering the entire area.
- Empty the water tank and refill it with fresh distilled water when it gets low.
Maintenance Tips for Your Shark Mop
To ensure that your Shark steam mop is working at its best and lasting for as long as possible, be sure to follow these maintenance tips:
- Empty the water tank and refill it with fresh distilled water after each use.
- Wipe down the outside of the steam mop with a damp cloth after each use.
- After use, unplug your steam mop and let it cool before removing the Dirt Grip pads. Empty the tank and store your mop once it’s cooled down.
- Follow the manufacturer’s recommended maintenance schedule for your specific model of steam mop. This may include replacing certain parts or performing routine cleaning tasks.
The most important thing is to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations when it comes to using and maintaining your Shark steam mop.
While it may be tempting to try and boost the cleaning power of your steam mop by adding chemicals or cleaning solutions to the water tank, it’s not recommended by Shark and could potentially damage your machine.
Stick with using only distilled water in your Shark steam mop to ensure that it’s working at its best and that your floors are left clean and streak-free.
Remember to follow the proper usage and maintenance instructions for your specific model of steam mop, and if you have any questions, consult the user manual or reach out to the manufacturer for further guidance.
Image credits – Photo by Daiga Ellaby on Unsplash
I’m a MA, (CMT) Certified Massage Therapist, Licensed Massage Therapist (LMT), and Reiki Master — I’m a licensed massage therapist with over 10 years of experience in the industry.