Many people enjoy a cup of coffee to start their day or as a pick-me-up in the afternoon. But if you’ve just had a massage, it’s not advisable you have a cup of coffee afterward.
While it’s not strictly forbidden, it’s generally not a good idea to drink coffee after a massage for a few reasons as I’ll explain in this article.
Why Should You Avoid Caffeine After a Massage?
One of the main reasons to avoid caffeine after a massage is that it can dehydrate you.
Massage can help to flush out toxins and excess fluid from your body, and drinking caffeine can counteract this effect.
Caffeine is a diuretic, which means it increases urine production and can lead to dehydration.
This can be especially problematic if you’re already feeling dehydrated after your massage.
In addition to dehydration, caffeine can also interfere with the relaxation and stress-reduction benefits of massage.
Caffeine is a stimulant that can increase heart rate and blood pressure, which can make it more difficult to relax and unwind after your massage.
So, before stopping by Starbucks on the way home I’d think twice, and you’ll feel a lot better for it!
Related – Here is what you should and shouldn’t eat before and after a massage!
When Can I Drink Coffee After a Massage?
If you really need your caffeine fix, you can wait until a few hours after your massage to have a cup of coffee.
This will give your body time to rehydrate and allow the relaxation and stress-reduction benefits of the massage to take effect.
It’s also a good idea to drink plenty of water after your massage to help rehydrate your body and flush out toxins.
Aim for at least 8-12 cups of water per day, and try to drink a glass of water before and after your massage to help replenish any fluids lost during the massage.
Why It’s Important to Drink Water After a Massage
Drinking water after a massage is important for several reasons.
First and foremost, it helps to rehydrate your body and replace any fluids lost during the massage. Massage can cause your body to release toxins and excess fluid, and drinking water can help to flush these out of your system.
In addition to helping with hydration, water can also aid in the recovery and repair of your muscles.
Water helps to transport nutrients and oxygen to your muscles, which can help to reduce muscle soreness and improve recovery time.
Other Things to Avoid After a Massage
In addition to caffeine, there are a few other things you should avoid after a massage to get the most out of your treatment:
- Alcohol: Like caffeine, alcohol can dehydrate your body and interfere with the relaxation and stress-reduction benefits of massage. It’s best to avoid alcohol for a few hours after your massage.
- Heavy meals: Eating a heavy meal immediately after a massage can put a strain on your digestive system and make it more difficult to relax. It’s a good idea to have a light, healthy snack instead.
- Strenuous exercise: While moderate activity is generally okay after a massage, it’s best to avoid intense or strenuous exercise for a few hours. This will give your muscles time to recover and allow the benefits of the massage to take effect.
Some of The Health Benefits of Massage Therapy
If you’re new to massage therapy, here are some of the health benefits that you may not be aware of.
Massage therapy is good for:
- Reducing stress and anxiety – I started getting massages when I had a stressful job and I can honestly say it did wonders for me!
- Relieving muscle tension and pain – A massage can help to relax your muscles and reduce pain caused by tension or injury.
- Improving blood circulation – Massage helps to increase blood flow and oxygen delivery to your muscles, which can help with muscle recovery.
- Increasing flexibility and range of motion – Massage can help to improve your flexibility and range of motion, which is especially helpful if you’re an athlete.
- Stimulating the lymphatic system to help remove toxins from the body – Massage helps to stimulate the lymphatic system, which can help remove toxins from your body.
- Enhancing relaxation and a sense of well-being – Massage can do wonders for your mental health, helping to reduce anxiety and enhance relaxation.
Related – Here is what happens if you don’t drink water after a massage.
These are just a few of the benefits that massage therapy can bring.
If you’re looking for a way to relax and reduce stress, massage might be the perfect solution – just try and keep on the coffee for a few hours afterward for maximum benefit!
Image credits – Photo by Gian Cescon on Unsplash
I’m a MA, (CMT) Certified Massage Therapist, Licensed Massage Therapist (LMT), and Reiki Master — I’m a licensed massage therapist with over 10 years of experience in the industry.